October 25 2014 Latest news:
By anthony carroll
Sunday, September 23, 2012
About hundred people marched through Bungay this morning to protest about a controversial trial one-way system set up in the Suffolk town.
People of all ages gathered at the Buttercross in the town centre at 11am and then set off on the protest march, which saw people waving placards and singing against the pilot one-way system, that started on Sunday, September 9.
This morning’s march was staged by anti-one way campaigners as they say the £100,000 scheme set up by Suffolk County Council and Bungay Town Council is impacting on shops’s trade, pedestrian crossings are being turned off, there is poor signage and inadequate loading space and a danger for cyclists.
Craig Trickett, who runs two local butchers, had helped organise the protest march.
Mr Trickett said: “It is putting off people coming to the town. It is going to kill the town. We are talking about people’s livelihoods here.
Dave O’Neill led off the march and orchestrated the “One way, No way” chants.
He said: “It is a waste of Suffolk taxpayers’s money. Some shops said they have seen a 20pc drop in trade in the last week.
“We hope this march sends a strong message to both councils that the people of Bungay do not want such a one-way system for the town.”
The one-way system, which sends traffic south along Trinity Street and north along St Mary’s Street, has been brought in as part of the county county council’s local transport plan.
A decision will be made on its future in between six and 18 months.