December 7 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Developers pledged to listen to residents’ concerns and take them on board as they unveiled plans for 163 new homes on the edge of Hunstanton.
Searles Leisure Group and Hopkins Homes want to build “high quality” housing, including 32 affordable homes west of the A149 off Redgate Hill, on the southern approaches to the town.
But people living near the site said they feared the Butterfield Meadows development would overlook their homes and increase congestion on the main coast road.
Hundreds attended an exhibiton at Hunstanton Community Centre last night, where a plan of the proposed development and a neighbouring nature reserve were unveiled for the first time.
Retired shop assistant Cynthia Boardman, 66, said she and her husband Anthony would not have moved to their bungalow on Princess Drive 15 months ago if they had known about the proposals.
“There’s a row of trees, those trees will come down and I expect the flats will go where the trees are, so they will overlook our property,” she said.
Mrs Boardman said if Hunstanton needed new homes, they should be built east of the A149, where two other sites have been earmarked for possible development.
Retired trade union official John Worth, 88, who lives on Harry’s Way, said: “My concern is the building layout. One of the flats would overlook my property.”
Town councillor John Maiden said he feared the development would join Hunstanton to neighbouring Heacham.
“I’ve voted against this from the beginning and nothing’s happened to change my mind,” he said. “I’m concerned about the environmental implications as well.”
County councillor Richard Bird said the population of Hunstanton had fallen to 4,200, adding: “If we’re going to maintain services, we need more people to live here. You get more doctors by having more people on the roll.”
Simon Barnes, development director with director of development with Woodbridge-based Hopkins Homes, said: “We’re here today to show people what we’re proposing, to listen to people and address their concerns.”
Paul Searle, director of Searles, said concerns that the development would be accessed via Harry’s Way had been addressed by a new access road onto the A149.
A formal planning application is expected to be submitted to West Norfolk council in January.
If approved, work would begin in early 2015, with the first homes due to be completed by spring 2016.