Man in his 60s airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after being hit by train
PUBLISHED: 12:39 27 April 2018 | UPDATED: 15:25 27 April 2018
A man believed to be in his 60s was struck by a train this morning.
British Transport Police (BTP) officers were called to March railway station at 11.05am today (April 27) after reports of a man struck by a train.
“Officers and colleagues from the East of England Ambulance Service attended,” said a BTP spokesman.
“The man, who is believed to be in his 60s, has been taken to hospital by air ambulance with serious injuries.
“We are working to identify the man and to establish the circumstances around this incident.”
All train services in and out of March are suspended following the incident.
An eye witness said: “I was just entering the station and I saw a body on the middle of the track.
“At that moment I backed away and walked back outside.”
Services between Peterborough and Ely are affected and National Rail has warned that services may be cancelled, delayed by up to 90 minutes, or suspended. Disruption is likely to continue until at least 2pm.
The eye witness said he noticed a train had pulled up near the scene but it was not immediately clear if it had been involved in the incident.
Early reports suggest a passenger trying to cross had been hit by a train but this is unconfirmed.
A police cordon has been thrown around the station and all passengers have been asked to leave the station.
Station Road level crossing gates remain closed and all through traffic needs to find alternative routes.
An air ambulance landed a short time ago at Estover playing fields and other ambulances are at the scene.
Dozens of police officers have descended on the scene and three ambulances. There are around 20 people waiting around the entrance area for an update.
The station car park is still open, but both platforms are closed.
Passengers are being told replacement bus services to Ely have been arranged.