Nostalgic photos capturing Norfolk’s trams through the decades
PUBLISHED: 16:32 07 February 2018 | UPDATED: 16:33 07 February 2018
Trams were once a familiar sight in Norfolk. We scoured the archives to find some photos of trams around the county.
As these photos show, for many years they weaved their way along Castle Meadow and Orford Place, past the Guildhall, and through many other city streets such as Dereham Road, Unthank Road, Earlham Road and Magdalen Street.
The tram network was developed under the impetus of town clerk George Butler Kennett and the supervision of architect George Skipper. It was installed from 1899 and had the most dramatic impact on the city’s streetscape since its development after the Norman Conquest. More than 17 metres of tracks were laid originally and a terminus constructed at Orford Place with a depot at Silver Road. The tram network ran for 35 years, from July 30 1900 until December 10 1935.
As well as being a popular mode of transport in Norwich, trams were also used in other parts of Norfolk and Suffolk including Wisbech, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft.