A nostalgic look back to Great Yarmouth of 1968
PUBLISHED: 11:04 04 February 2018 | UPDATED: 09:04 05 February 2018
Roller skating championships in Great Yarmouth, figure and freestyle. 1968. Neg 1025
Fifty years ago, Great Yarmouth looked very different to today.
Roller skating championships in Great Yarmouth, figure and freestyle. 1968. Neg 1018
These photos from our archives are all from 1968 and show a variety of scenes from roller skating championships to a bird’s eye view of the former Lacon’s Brewery in the town centre.
There’s even a picture of comedian Jimmy Tarbuck taking part in the annual charity showbiz cricket match.
Great Yarmouth skating club dinner at Shadingfield Lodge. Picture taken October 1968. Picture: m9648-11
Variety Artists cricket match at Great Yarmouth - Jimmy Tarbuck - picture taken 4th august 1968 m9002-23
Great Yarmouth - Whit Monday - youngsters on the mini dodgem cars at Joyland / Pleasure Beach funfair picture taken 3th June 1968. m8282-14
An aerial picture of the former Brewery site in Yarmouth which is to be re-developed. In the top left hand corner is St Nicholas' Church. Photo: Archant Library
The Half Way House pub, sited at the midway point of the Southtown to Gorleston horse tramway. Rebuilding work in 1938 gave it a handsome Thirties frontage. The pub closed in 1968 to permit road widening. Picture: MERCURY LIBRARY
Removing the old oak staircase from Yarmouth's Drury House on South Quay, which later was taken to Blickling Hall and re-assembled. In October 1968 the house was damaged by fire and was then demolished a year later. Photograph C2516
Lacons Brewery, Yarmouth towncentre. Last brew on 28 Feb 1968 and demolished in 1973. Picture c0528
Halfway House Public House on Great Yarmouth / Gorleston boundary. Closing " wake ", 1968 was closed and demolished for road widening. Photograph C051
Half Way House Southtown Road. Opened originally in 1842 as the Guardian Angel. Renamed and rebuilt in 1882 as Halfway House. Closed and demolished in September 1968, for road widening. Photograph c0500
Buoys at Trinity House depot, Great Yarmouth. Date: 1968. Photo: Archant