Norfolk adventurer’s Mount Everest expedition is cancelled after avalanche killed Sherpa guides
PUBLISHED: 14:57 24 April 2014 | UPDATED: 14:57 24 April 2014
A Norfolk adventurer who was climbing Mount Everest for charity is returning home after an avalanche killed 16 Sherpas.
Selina Dicker, 37, of Ranworth, was at base camp when a group of local guides who had gone ahead to prepare the route were hit last Friday.
Her expedition was organised by Sheffield-based Jagged Globe, and the firm has confirmed the journey has now been cancelled.
In a written statement, the firm said: “Following the terrible accident on April 18 when 16 Sherpas lost their lives, the Jagged Globe team have remained in base camp.
“Our Sherpa team were badly hit in the avalanche with one fatality and five injured, requiring evacuation.
“We are still coming to terms with the scale of this tragedy and the impact it has had on the Sherpa community.
“It is impossible for the team to continue with their climb without additional Sherpa support.
“We are cancelling the expedition as there is no prospect of replacing our Sherpas and because there aren’t now sufficient Sherpas in base camp to fix ropes on the mountain and make it safe to climb.
“Our team are sad and disappointed that the expedition must come to an end.
“However, our thoughts are with the families and loved ones affected by the events of last week.
“Some of us hope to return to Everest in the future, but for now we would like to thank everyone for their support and for following the expedition.
“The majority of the team will leave base camp at the weekend and should arrive back in Kathmandu on April 30.”
Miss Dicker’s father Christopher Dicker said he expected her to arrive back in the UK within 10 days.