National Carers Week: 15 events not to miss
10:26 09 June 2014
Support groups are warning that thousands of carers in Norfolk and Suffolk may be missing out on vital help, as a week dedicated to carers gets under way.
Sharon Brooks, chairman of the Carers Council for Norfolk, which is led by carers and aims to raise the profile of their issues and needs, said: “Carers Week is a real opportunity to highlight the work undertaken by carers and, this year, we are particularly looking to reach hidden carers.
“Carers Council for Norfolk wants to be able to make a difference and to support all carers.
“When a loved one – be they child, partner, family member, neighbour or close friend – needs caring for, many people naturally become a carer without identifying themselves as such.
“If this is you, or you know of someone this applies to, please find out about the support available. Call in at one or our events this week or call the CAP helpline on 0808 8089876.”
For more on the work of carers in our community see the EDP this week.
Sheringham: Library, New Road.
Monday, June 9, 10am to 1pm.
• Carers Agency Partnership Helpline Information Stand – Meet Sarah, the Carers Agency Partnership Helpline outreach officer, and find out what information and support is available for carers in Norfolk. Telephone 0808 8089876.
Fakenham: First Focus.
Thursday, June 12, 10am to midday.
• Fakenham Carers group will be holding a Carers’ Week event.
Wells: Community Hospital.
Thursday, June 12, 1pm to 4pm.
• Wells Carers Group will be holding a Carers’ Week event.
King’s Lynn: Tesco, Hardwick Industrial Estate.
Monday, June 9, 10am to 3pm.
• West Norfolk Carers will be out and about answering questions and giving out information at the Tesco store. Call West Norfolk Carers on 01553 768155 for more details.
King’s Lynn: Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
Tuesday, June 10 and Friday, June 13, 10am to 3pm.
• West Norfolk Carers will be at the hospital on these two days. Call West Norfolk Carers on 01553 768155 for more details.
King’s Lynn: Thoresby College, Queen Street.
Wednesday, June 11, 10am to 3pm.
• West Norfolk Carers will be holding a Carers’ Week Quest Fair. There will be relaxing therapies, guest speakers and information stands from Age UK Norfolk, Alzheimer’s Society, The Big C, West Norfolk Befriending, West Norfolk Carers, Tapping House and West Norfolk Mind.
King’s Lynn: Arts Centre.
Thursday, June 12, 6pm to 8pm.
• Norfolk Young Carers Forum Event. Are you aged 16-24? Do you regularly care for a member of your family? Do you have something to say about the support you need or want? Come along to tell us how you would like to have your say. Food and transport are provided free. Let us know if you can come on 07842 534758 by Twitter @NorfolkYCForum or on Facebook at the Norfolk Young Carers Forum page.
Norwich: Chapelfield Methodist Church, Central Norwich.
Wednesday, June 11, 6pm to 8pm.
• Norfolk Young Carers Forum Event. Are you aged 16-24? Do you regularly care for a member of your family? Do you have something to say about the support you need or want? Come along to tell us how you would like to have your say. Food and transport are provided free.
• Let us know if you can come on 07842 534758 by Twitter @NorfolkYCForum or on Facebook at the Norfolk Young Carers Forum page.
Costessey: Community Centre, Longwater Lane.
Tuesday, June 10, 10am to 1pm.
• Costessey Carers Group will be holding an event for Norwich and the surrounding area, with free refreshments.
• All the main groups, charities and organisations will be there to give free advice and guidance in strict confidence.
Costessey: Sainsbury’s, Longwater Retail Park.
Friday, June 13, 9am to 3pm.
• Sainsbury’s Longwater and Costessey Carers have teamed up to offer an in-store display and a bucket collection for Admiral Nurses throughout the week.
• On Friday, Costessey Carers will have advisers in the store to answer questions. Contact Les Eve, pictured, on 01603 742185 for more details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Gorleston: Louise Hamilton Centre, James Paget University Hospital.
Wednesday, June 11, 1.30pm to 5.30pm.
• A strawberry cream tea in the centre’s pretty garden, with Suffolk Family Carers. Contact Sue Francis for more details on 01493 453100.
Gorleston: James Paget University Hospital.
Friday, June 13, 10.30am to 4.30pm.
• Norfolk Carers Support will be at the hospital to offer information, advice and support. They will have professional speakers during the day and there will be free parking and refreshments on offer. For more details ring 01603 219924.
• Throughout Carers’ Week, young carers and adult carers will be raising awareness of what like is actually like for them through a social media campaign on Twitter using the hashtags #ycmyths #ycsuperheroes. You can also follow @NorfolkYCForum.
• www.chill4uscarers.co.uk will be hosting a web chat for carers and past carers throughout the week.
• Carers’ Corner on Future Radio 107.8 FM, www.futureradio.co.uk
• Carers’ Corner is on the last and second Saturday of each month at 1.30pm. Lots of information for carers and details about carers’ events in and around Norfolk throughout the year. For more information contact Susanne Anderson, Carers Agency Partnership, on 01603 405665, www.carersagency partnership.co.uk or Care for Carers on 01603 741160 or visit www.careforcarers.co.uk