December 8 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, September 5, 2013
Homes and a centre for disabled people have been evacuated in Great Yarmouth after garage containing gas cylinders caught on fire.
Firefighters were called to a domestic garage in Yare Close just after 9.15am today.
Two crews from Yarmouth attended and put the flames out, but worked with Great Yarmouth Borough Council to get people from Centre 81 as well as nearby homes to a safe distance away after they found gas cylinders inside the burning garage.
More than 50 people were evacuated, including 30 people from Centre 81 in Tar Works Road, which supports people with physical and sensory disabilities.
A spokesman for the borough council said: “Two fire appliances from Great Yarmouth are today dealing with a fire in a domestic garage at Yare Close, Great Yarmouth and the crew are using hose reel jets and a hydrant.
“Local residents have been evacuated as a precaution as there are gas cylinders at the property. Also evacuated have been people at Centre 81.
“The borough council has established part of the Marina Leisure Centre, in Marine Parade, as a rest centre to provide temporary accommodation.
“A total of 30 people from Centre 81 have been transported by the borough council to the rest centre, where they are expected to remain for several hours.
“The remaining 20 to 25 evacuees are currently at the White Swan pub.
“The evacuees will not be able to return to their properties until the fire service has deemed it safe.”