Mill was one of the first of its kind in the county
PUBLISHED: 12:13 21 February 2014 | UPDATED: 12:13 21 February 2014
In the second of a new Down Memory Lane series on local windmills and wind pumps, Sculthorpe Mill comes under the scrutiny of EDP librarian Rosemary Dixon.
Standing astride the River Wensum about two miles from Fakenham, Sculthorpe Mill was one of the first of its kind in the county.
A stone bore the date 1757 and at one time it had belonged to the Townshend family. It had been in the Fairbairn family of millers for 50 years and was in use as a mill until 1947.
In 1963, when our picture was taken, it was to be sold at auction at Fakenham Corn Hall. It did sell on the day, for the respectable sum of £2,300.
If any reader has any further information, email email@example.com or write to Rosemary Dixon, EDP Librarian, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.
Copies of this photography, C13080, can be obtained from EDP Offices.
The region in pictures - for more nostalgia pictures click here.