December 19 2014 Latest news:
Friday, January 31, 2014
Businessman Robert Divkovic – who ran the labour provider Roberto Mac Ltd - has been cleared by police of all allegations of conspiracy to defraud.
His wife got a text message from police this week to say her husband was in the clear – four months after a 3am raid which led to the liquidation of his company and the collapse of his multi-million pound business.
“One of the detectives sent me a text message to say my husband had been cleared,” said Marija. “That was that”.
Mr Divkovic though insisted on police putting it in writing that his bail had been ended and all charges dropped - and that letter arrived yesterday.
“Until it arrived I didn’t truly believe it,” he said.
His name cleared, his business destroyed, his health in serious decline, Mr Divkovic is now facing an uncertain future.
He said: “I was suddenly left with no money to run the business, it went into liquidation and at one point I went to the job centre to find work.
“However, now I am not well enough to work anyway.”
His wife said: “They destroyed us – and 200 people were left without jobs and are now on social as a result.”
For many weeks Mrs Divkovic has been filing complaints to the Gangmasters Licensing Authority and police about the way the inquiry was handled, particularly in the light of her husband’s medical conditions.
Mr Divkovic said: “The procedures were totally unacceptable and wrong and it was disproportionate.
“What did they think I was, some sort of Mafia boss? They were treating me worse than that.”
Mrs Divkovic added: “What happened to us is a crime – when they came to the house they didn’t know we had children asleep upstairs and neither did they know the extent of my husband’s health problems.
“I am optimistic though for the future and that is because I believe in my husband. I don’t care about possessions – they are just things.”
A police spokesman confirmed that Mr Divkovic’s bail had been cancelled.
A GLA spokesman said: “Following on from the suspension imposed on October 15, 2013, the licence of Roberto Mac Ltd was revoked with immediate effect by the GLA on January 9.
“This decision was taken exclusively by the authority based on evidence uncovered through enquiries into suspected breaches of licensing standards. It remains in force.
“While the GLA assisted the police investigation, the decision not to impose charges against the company and/or its directors was taken by the Crown Prosecution Service.”