October 22 2014 Latest news:
Friday, October 18, 2013
A couple claim their holiday was ruined when thousands of people flooded into their hotel.
Pete, 54, and Amanda Gladwin, 53, from Anthony Nolan Road, King’s Lynn, went to a five star resort in Puerto Plata, in the Dominican Republic, to get away from it all. But after three days, the couple say hundreds of locals poured into the hotel, filling the pool, beach and restaurants.
The couple claim the Riu Merengue Hotel’s facilities soon became overcrowded, restaurants ran out of supplies and guests were recommended to leave the resort for peace and quiet.
The Gladwins say they were told that local government in the Dominican Republic had an agreement with the hotels to allow cut-price deals for locals during the school holidays. The couple are part of a group of more than 100 holidaymakers who are threatening legal action against travel agent Thomson’s parent company TUI Ltd.
Suki Chhokar, a partner at Sheffield-based solicitors Irwin Mitchell, said: “All of the people we have been instructed by have asked for the same thing – they want justice following the problems they have had to endure during their holidays, as well as reassurances that future visitors to the complex will not have to suffer in the same ways that they have.”
A spokesman for Thomson said: “Thomson is sorry that some customers were unhappy with their stay at the Riu Merengue in the Dominican Republic earlier this season. As this case is now subject to legal proceedings it would be inappropriate for us to comment further.
“Thomson holds customer satisfaction in the highest regard and does everything possible to ensure customers have a fantastic holiday.”
Mr Gladwin said: “We were not happy. When you have gone for an all-inclusive holiday you don’t want to pay for excursions. We don’t have a problem with the local people. It was purely the amount of people for the size of the hotel. It has put us off going away on holiday altogether.”