King’s Lynn woman died from overdose of prescribed medication
PUBLISHED: 11:14 25 February 2014 | UPDATED: 11:14 25 February 2014
An inquest heard that a 26-year-old King’s Lynn woman died from an overdose of prescribed medication.
Cassandra Turton, who was known as Cassie, of Park Avenue, died in Papworth Hospital, Cambridge, on February 14.
An inquest opened in Norwich on Monday heard that Miss Turton’s mother, Sandra Hammond-Grant, of South Wootton, was present at her daughter’s bedside when she died.
The inquest was told that “on the evening of February 13 it appears Cassandra took an overdose of her prescribed medication. She was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where shortly after she arrived she went into cardiac arrest.
“She was resuscitated and the following morning she was transferred to Papworth Hospital where, despite specialist care, she died.”
The cause of death was given as a propranolol overdose.
The inquest will be reviewed on or before March 17 with a view to setting an inquest date.
As reported, tributes have been paid to Miss Turton, who was pregnant.
Her mother said her daughter had a “wicked sense of humour”.
She said: “We were best friends as well as mother and daughter. She used to take me shopping and we even had our belly buttons pierced together.”
Miss Turton was a restaurant supervisor at the Bank House in Lynn. The funeral service will be at 12.15pm on March 4 at Mintlyn Crematorium.
Propranolol is a beta blocker used to treat hypertension, anxiety and panic.