March 8 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, February 27, 2014
A King’s Lynn takeaway owner has been ordered to pay fines and costs of more than £17,000 after admitting a string of food hygiene and health and safety offences.
Mohammed Mahboob, 30, who was described in court papers as the “operator” of Royal Spice, in Norfolk Street, entered a guilty plea to 10 food hygiene charges when he appeared before Lynn magistrates.
They included failing to keep the premises clean, leaving kitchen floors, walls and food preparation areas dirty, having a stained toilet and a dirty wash hand basin.
Mahboob was also charged with failing to ensure adequate materials for the cleaning and drying of hands were provided, and failing to ensure that articles, fittings and equipment which came into contact with food were effectively cleaned so as to avoid the risk of contamination.
Mahboob, whose address was given as 42 Norfolk Street, also admitted three breaches of health and safety legislation. He admitted two charges of failing to ensure the health and safety of employees, over a damaged electrical socket and extension lead. He also admitted breaching a prohibition notice served in August 2013, regarding a broken electrical socket.
Cara Jordan, prosecuting, said: “The offences for which Mr Mahboob has pleaded guilty relate to repeated non-compliance with food law and food hygiene. Health and safety imposes a duty on employers to ensure their premises is safe. Mr Mahboob is an employer.”
Mahboob had run the business, which employed five staff, since investing his life savings into opening a takeaway in 2010, the court was told.
Andrew Cave, defending Mahboob, said he had no previous convictions relating to any of the offences. He added he had “spent every penny he has” carrying out work on the premises, while staff had been given hygiene training. He told the court: “It’s his first offence, he’s pleaded guilty, he’s co-operated, he’s invested huge amounts of money.”
Chair of the bench Joycelyn Girling said Mahboob would be fined £5,000 for the first health and safety offence, with no separate penalty for the others, £1,000 for each of 10 food hygiene breaches, £120 victim surcharge and £2,751.09 costs to West Norfolk council, totalling £17,871.09.
The bench refused an offer to pay off the amount at £100 a month and Mahboob was told he would have to pay £400 a month.