As county councillors prepare to vote on whether to give the go-ahead to the controversial King’s Lynn incinerator, Communities Secretary Eric Pickles tonight put the decision on hold.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Norfolk’s planning committee meets at County Hall tomorrow, to consider a recommendation to approve the plant despite overwhelming opposition.

But the decision will not now be confirmed until after Mr Pickles has reviewed the paperwork. And the Communities Secretary could also order a public enquiry into the “energy from waste” plant.

Hundreds of members of public are expected to attend the meeting, where objectors will be allowed three minutes each to speak.

A 570-page report to councillors says that of 8,375 responses received from the public, 7,609 objected to the building the “energy from waste” scheme at Saddlebow, near the A47.

All nine Norfolk MPs have called for Mr Pickles to call-in the decision, meaning it would be taken out off the council’s hands.

A full public enquiry would then be conducted, chaired by a planning inspector, before a decision was taken by Mr Pickles.

A spokesman for the Communities Secretary said: “As well as the letter from the MPs, we’ve had a lot of letters from the public. Given the level of interest in this, we would look at the papers to decide whether to call it in.”

Norfolk County Council officials were told of the decision this afternoon. Graham Plant, cabinet member for planning and transportation, said: “We had anticipated that this would be a step the Government was likely to take to give itself time to consider a very substantial planning application.

“We had already sent the Committee report and appendices to the Communities and Local Government department.

“Like the county council, the government will want to ensure they have considered all the issues very carefully. We have always made it clear that the county council will provide every assistance if CLG decides to review the decision, or call in the application for the Secretary of State to decide. We are entirely confident in the procedures that have been followed.

“The government clearly expects the county council to make a decision, however we have been asked not to issue a decision notice until the Secretary of State has been able to review matters.

“This means that the committee will consider the application tomorrow, but if it decides to approve, a decision notice will not be issued until the Secretary of State has completed a review and decided whether it should be referred to him for determination.”

Our reporters will be providing live coverage from tomorrow’s meeting on www.edp24.co.uk. You can take part using the hashtag #klinc on Twitter. Proceedings are expected to get under way at 10am.

4 comments

  • NCC, god beware, should now adopt a plan B, ensure some major zero waste recycling centres with a business cluster using these materials centred around these sites to minimise transort. MTB and gasification plants should also be looked into with a matter of urgency, because this sole obsession with incineration that 's been mesmerising officers and councillrs for ten years, their ignorance toward the existing waste hirarchy, all this should now be forgotten and a new, more sensible and cheaper agenda should be adopted, pronto.

    Report this comment

    ingo wagenknecht

    Friday, June 29, 2012

  • Will the County Council get the message now? Nobody wants this dirty white elephant. Hopefully any Public Inquiry will examine all the facts and give the environmental impacts proper airing (!). The impacts of dioxins and furans and particulates from the plume on the population and the natural habitats need to be given proper consideration. The risks associated with the handling, transport and disposal of the bottom and fly ash and the impacts of carting the waste and the residues across the country need to be properly evaluated.

    Report this comment

    norfolkngood

    Friday, June 29, 2012

  • Well done to NCC planning committee, they were able to take into account all that information, and come to a decision in far less time than it takes other Councils to decide on major projects. They didn’t even need as much time to hear everyone’s views either.

    Report this comment

    Honest John

    Friday, June 29, 2012

  • I think Eric Pickles message is quite clear, it is not the proposal he is objecting to at this stage, it is the manner in which NCC are going about this whole process. We need more letters sent to him asking for it to be called in, and when this sorry mess is finally over, there needs to be a public enquiry into the NCC officers behind this, the elected NCC members can be removed with an appropriately placed X in someone else's box next May.

    Report this comment

    Honest John

    Friday, June 29, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Related links

Other News Articles

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Rain

Rain

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 5°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT