September 18 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
An inquest has been opened into the death of a two-year-old girl who died after a fireplace fell onto her.
Norfolk Coroner’s Court heard yesterday how Trinity Coward was playing in the living room at the family home in Theobold Road, Norwich, on July 6 when the tragedy happened.
Senior coroner Jacqueline Lake said: “Her family were also present in the room. She stood on the fireplace and reached up to hold on to the mantelpiece.
“Trinity then tried to swing while holding on to the mantelpiece.
“The mantelpiece suddenly came away from the wall, falling on to the floor. Trinity’s father picked her up but she was unresponsive.
“The ambulance service were immediately called and attended the scene and Trinity was transferred from her home to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
“Attempts were made at resuscitation but Trinity died soon after admission.
“I understand the police have attended and conducted an investigation and found no evidence of third party involvement or suspicious circumstances.”
She said a pathology report found the cause of death as “complex head injury due to a blunt force trauma”.
The full inquest is due to take place at Norfolk Coroner’s Court on Tuesday, August 26.