The history of the Ingham Swan in Norfolk in pictures
PUBLISHED: 17:34 11 September 2017 | UPDATED: 11:44 16 September 2017
Archant - EDP Library
The Ingham Swan began its life as a coaching inn around 600 years ago.
Since then it has been attacked by a king, and has been defended stoically by its local parish council.
The first mention the history books recorded of Ingham is in the Domesday Book of 1086, even though in those days it was called Hincham, meaning seated in a meadow.
The Ingham Swan’s building was constructed much later, in the 14th Century, when it was built next door to the Holy Trinity Church, and was part of the Ingham Priory.
In the 16th century it had a close shave with destruction, after King Henry VIII destroyed the prior, leaving the inn building as the largest remaining fragment of the former sanctuary.
Since then the building has seen happier times, after Michelin star winning Chef Patron Daniel Smith took over the reins with business partner Gregory Adjemian in 2010.