March 2 2015 Latest news:
By Chris Bishop
Friday, May 16, 2014
Six-hundred people have responded to a survey about the future of a beauty spot.
Owner Sibelco Europe wants the community to have its say over the way Bawsey Pits, near King’s Lynn are run.
The former sand quarries, now a country park, was the scene of two drownings last summer despite warnings not to enter the water. The firm closed the car park after the incidents but says it is obliged under planning law to maintain public access.
Responses will now be considered as the company drafts a new management plan.
Sibelco resources director Gary Stringer said: “We’re really pleased that so many people have taken the time to take part in the survey and thank them for doing so.
“To me the level of response shows just how much people want to make sure Bawsey Pits has a strong, secure and viable future.
“That’s important to us too. We have to identify how further improvements can be funded. This is a site we restored many years ago and for the majority of the time since then it has been used without incident.
“In recent years the type of activities taking place have changed and, with the best will in the world, we don’t think anyone could have predicted some of the problems that have emerged including a recent but significant rise in anti-social behaviour.
“Our job now is to take a considered look at what people have had to say and then come back with suggestions for a way forward.”
Sibelco is expected to release further details within the next month.