January 27 2015 Latest news:
Friday, March 1, 2013
The Queen has been forced to cancel a planned visit to Wales after suffering from symptoms of gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said tonight.
She was due to attend a military celebration in Swansea tomorrow during the city’s St David’s Day celebrations.
The Queen was due to travel through Swansea to the Guildhall where she would present St David’s Day leeks to the 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh, of whom she is Colonel-in-Chief.
She was then invited to a reception with members of the battalion and their families, before proceeding to the George Hall for lunch.
But A palace spokeswoman said: “The Queen will no longer visit Swansea tomorrow as she is experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
“She will be assessed in the coming days. Her Majesty is currently spending the weekend at Windsor, as usual.”
The Queen presented a host of Olympic stars with honours during an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace yesterday.
She and the Duke of Edinburgh are due to fly out to Rome for a two-day visit next week.
Last month, the Queen officially opened a £3m MRI scanning suite at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn.
She made the short journey from Sandringham for her visit to the hospital named in honour of her late mother.