Friday, February 8, 2013
A contractor has been appointed to remove potentially dangerous asbestos from the upstairs of a Norfolk youth centre.
Diss Youth and Community Centre was closed temporarily at the end of January after workmen replacing windows at the Shelfanger Road centre discovered the asbestos in panels surrounding windows on the top floor.
The bottom floor of the centre was able to open again to user groups within days after an independent expert was called in to carry out air tests on the top floor which revealed only minimal levels of asbestos in the area.
Town clerk Deborah Sarson hoped the contractor would be able to work with the workmen carrying out the refurbishments to have the asbestos cleared within three or four weeks.
The windows are being replaced as part of refurbishments to the centre, built in the 1970s, which will include new flooring, blinds and a suspended ceiling to make it more energy efficient.
The workmen moved swiftly to stop the improvements and close the building after finding the material, subsequently confirmed as asbestos.