November 22 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, August 14, 2014
Two of the regions ports that were damaged during the tidal surge last December have received grants from the government.
Harbours at Wells and Southwold each received a share of funding from the Department for Transport to help repair damage from the winter storms.
Southwold Harbour has received £15,717 to repair damage to fishing stage, harbour office and Walberswick Quay.
Waveney District councillor Sue Allen welcomed the news.
She said: “I am pleased the government recognised the fact that there isn’t money floating around at district council level to pay for these things.
“There was quite a lot of damage caused by the high tide last December so it is good news that there is some money to help.”
Wells Harbour has been given £14,960 to fix damage to outer harbour berms and inner harbour berths.
Wells harbour master Robert Smith said he was delighted by the news.
He said: “It is amazing news. We did have a lot of damage in the summer of 2012.
“It cost us a considerable amount of money that we would have normally spent on other projects.
“We are planning to build new facilities, showers and things, for visiting yachtsmen and new pontoons.
“Those projects had been at risk.
“It is good for the harbour and the rest of the town and even North Norfolk as a whole.
“We have thousands of visitors come here and that helps the area.”
A total of £1.7m has been given to small ports and harbours across the country.
Fenland District was also granted £1,200 to remove silt and debris on a quay.