April 16 2014 Latest news:
Monday, December 16, 2013
Generous EDP readers have made this newspaper’s campaign to help millions of children affected by last month’s devastating storm the most successful regional newspaper campaign in Unicef’s history.
The EDP launched the appeal with the children’s charity after Typhoon Haiyan, one of the most powerful on record, smashed into the Philippines on November 8, killing thousands and putting millions of survivors at risk. Now, as we wrap up the campaign, Unicef has revealed that 1,542 EDP and Evening News readers had donated an incredible £42,732.50 between them, including £2,055 raised from 411 readers who donated by text.
Thanking everyone who responded to the plea for help, a spokesman for Unicef said: “Raising over £40,000 from a regional paper appeal is unprecedented for Unicef UK, and the amazing response has been commented upon by senior management.”
David Powles, assistant editor of the EDP, said: “We have always known that EDP readers have a real sense of compassion, and I know how deeply the terrible scenes from the Philippines have touched people across the region.
“Even so, I have been absolutely overwhelmed by the response to the appeal and know how touched people at Unicef have been.
“I would like to thank everyone who responded so magnificently at a time of such desperate need.”
The money is helping with Unicef’s work on the ground to rebuild lives and ensure the safety and education of children.
The death toll in the Philippines has continued to rise in the weeks following the disaster, and last week passed 6,000, with nearly 1,800 people still missing.
Major Reynaldo Balido, spokesman for the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, said at least 20 bodies are still being found daily under debris in the hardest hit city of Tacloban.
The homes of more than 16 million people were either flattened or damaged, and officials say rebuilding will take at least three years.