Former serviceman who went on South Pole trek with Prince Harry visits Old School, Henstead, near Beccles
PUBLISHED: 14:59 17 March 2014 | UPDATED: 15:12 17 March 2014
RAF veteran Duncan Slater made a return visit to a north Suffolk school today to give youngsters a taste of what it was like to take part in the charity expedition to the South Pole with Prince Harry.
Sergeant Duncan Slater, 34, from Scole, took part in the Walking With The Wounded trek in December and was a guest at the Old School, Henstead, near Beccles.
Last year Mr Slater, who lost both his legs in a bomb blast in 2009, gave a talk to children at the school.
This was followed in the summer of 2013 when children and staff from the school took part in their own sponsored walk from the school to the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk Yacht Club in Lowestoft, and raised nearly £3,000 for the charity.
Mr Slater said: “I really enjoyed talking to the youngsters as they were so interested and asked some great questions.
“Children are so honest and wanted to know things like how I put my pyjamas on. It is so refreshing to talk to children like this,” he said.
The school’s headmaster, Joe McKinney, said he was delighted to welcome Duncan back to the school.
“Duncan is so inspiring. He joined us in our own sponsored walk last year and promised to tell pupils about his adventures in the South Pole.
“As a school we value adventure and Duncan is a splendid example for our pupils,” he said.
The timing of Duncan’s visit to the school could hardly have been better.
“Harry’s South Pole Heroes” was broadcast on ITV on Sunday and the second part of this gripping documentary is to be broadcast this Sunday, March 23.