Search

FREE GoGoDragon! stickers in today's EDP and Evening News!

Click here

Fire in Norwich restaurant added drama to bride-to-be’s hen do

15:23 02 October 2012

Bride-to-be Georgina Blaydes, with her mum Jackie Blaydes and her mum Jackie Blaydes with firefighters after a fire broke out at Bella Italia, in Exchange Street.  Georgina and 17 of her friends and family had been at the restaurant as part of her hen night.

Bride-to-be Georgina Blaydes, with her mum Jackie Blaydes and her mum Jackie Blaydes with firefighters after a fire broke out at Bella Italia, in Exchange Street. Georgina and 17 of her friends and family had been at the restaurant as part of her hen night.

submitted

A bride-to-be has praised staff at a city restaurant for the way they dealt with a fire which broke out in the venue’s kitchen.

shares

Georgina Blaydes was enjoying her hen party with 17 friends and family at the Bella Italia restaurant, in Exchange Street, when the drama unfolded on Saturday night.

Twenty-four-year-old Miss Blaydes, who is getting married to Damion Spencer, 25, on October 29, said: “Drinks had been served and we were just waiting to order our food when we all said we could smell burning. Next thing we knew we had been asked to vacate the building.

“Grabbing all our drinks and bottles we quickly rushed outside, and once we knew that nobody inside was hurt the banter began with the other customers.

“Everyone thought it was hilarious that we were on a hen night and two truck loads of fireman come to our rescue!”

Miss Blaydes, who had her picture taken with the firefighters as a souvenir of her dramatic hen night, said she was very impressed with how quickly and efficiently the Bella Italia staff organised another table for her party at the chain’s Red Lion Street restaurant, and she said one of the Exchange Street waitresses escorted them there and they were given complimentary drinks.

“All the staff at both restaurants were a credit to the company. We would highly recommend going to Bella Italia, the food was lovely and the staff were great,” said Miss Blaydes, a beauty therapist from Essex, who was visiting Norwich especially for her hen weekend.

“It was definitely a hen night to remember!”

Two fire crews were sent to the restaurant after the small fire broke out in a grill in the kitchen at about 7pm on Saturday. The building was evacuated safely and no serious damage was caused. Following the fire, the restaurant was closed for the remainder of Saturday evening but reopened on Sunday.

• Do you have a story for the Evening News? Call reporter Emma Knights on 01603 772428 or email emma.knights@archant.co.uk

shares

Most Read

Featured Pages

Most Commented

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 15°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the EDP
digital edition

Subscribe

Broads Outdoor Festival

cover

Enjoy the Broads
Outdoor Festival
digital edition

Read

Eating Out in the Broads

cover

Enjoy the Eating Out
in the Broads
digital edition

Read

Great Days Out

cover

Enjoy the Great Days
Out digital edition

Read

Get Into Summer

cover

Enjoy the Get Into
Summer digital edition

Read