Family raises the alarm after cooker fire at Thetford home
PUBLISHED: 15:58 23 August 2014 | UPDATED: 15:59 23 August 2014
A quick-thinking family leapt into action to raise the alarm after their neighbour’s smoke detector went off because the cooker had been left on while the occupant was asleep inside.
Laura Crane was dozing upstairs when she heard a siren sounding at 12.50am today (Saturday, August 23).
When the 25-year-old opened the back door of her home in St Mary’s Crescent, Thetford, she noticed the noise was actually coming from her next-door neighbour’s property.
She and her husband Lee began to knock on the door, along with other neighbours from the street, to try and alert the occupant.
However when they got no reply, Mr Crane decided to enter anyway while his wife phoned the emergency services.
When he got inside Mr Crane, 36, discovered smoke coming from the electric cooker, with burnt food on the stove.
He switched the oven off before three fire engines from Thetford, Brandon and Attleborough arrived, along with police and ambulance crews.
Firefighters stayed approximately 30mins at the scene and used a thermal image camera to check for any signs of fire.
Mrs Crane, who also has two children - Ben, 10, and Zack, 5 - said: “I was in bed and my husband and kids were in bed when I kept hearing this beeping noise.
“I came downstairs and opened the back door and noticed it was next-door’s alarm.
“I came round the front and knocked on her door. I was hammering on the door. We went and got the neighbours and they were hammering on the door.
“My husband went into the house and there was a lot of smoke where the cooke had been left on.
“I said the policewoman who arrived that I felt a bit stuped because nothing major happened. However she said I wasn’t being silly and that if I hadn’t have phoned, something serious could’ve happened.
“If I hadn’t have done anything, I would never have forgiven myself.”
Have you got a story? Email email@example.com