September 23 2014 Latest news:
Friday, August 22, 2014
Norwich residents affected by a series of summer storms and downpours are set to get a boost after £10,000 was awarded to help flash flooding victims.
The EDP and Norfolk Community Foundation is today releasing the money to aid people in the city, which was originally set up for communities hit by a major tidal surge.
The EDP Norfolk and Lowestoft Flood Appeal was launched last December to help devastated communities after millions of pounds of damage was caused to the coastline. The appeal has now been extended to people living in Norwich, who were affected by flash flooding over the last three months.
Applications for the final £10,000 of the flood appeal cash will be open from September 1 to September 30, which will be made available to householders hit by internal flooding to their properties in the Norwich City Council boundary.
Nigel Pickover, editor-in-chief of the EDP and Evening News, said: “The recent flash floods in Norwich show how vulnerable we can be to severe weather events. I’m delighted this money will help people to get their lives back on track with these emergency grants.”
Several homes and businesses in Norwich were flooded during a spate of summer thunderstorms and torrential downpours, which included flash floods on May 27, July 20, and on August 10. A number of properties in Beatrice Road and Ella Road suffered flood damage, and also Lionwood Infant and Nursery School.
Graham Tuttle, chief executive of the Norfolk Community Foundation, which administers the fund, said: “The opportunity to help some of the residents of Norwich affected by the recent flooding is very much an unseen and unexpected bonus from the original work of the flood appeal we launched in December 2013.”
“We are really pleased that the small amount of funding we had left had been able to continue to support those people whose lives have been affected by flooding here in Norfolk.”
Emergency grants of up to £500 will be considered for properties affected by internal flooding.
Brenda Arthur, leader of Norwich City Council, said: “I would like to thank people for their generosity as part of the appeal - it is always pleasing when people recognise the need to help others. I’m delighted there is some money available for people in Norwich.”
A tidal surge on the evening of December 5 caused major damage to the Norfolk coastline and Lowestoft areas, which prompted the launch of the flood appeal to help local councils identify people in need of swift financial help that received more than £330,000 in donations.
Chloe Smith, Norwich North MP, said: “I welcome this extension to the fund. It has been a successful campaign by the EDP and Evening News and it is important to get it used. I have been helping constituents in northern Norwich in these recent floods and in particular holding Anglian Water to account for the works that are needed to be done to stop this happening again and I would urge people if they need help in the short-term to apply for these funds.”
For more information, visit www.norwich.gov.uk/floodfund, call 0344 980 3333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org