Work still needed on 50 Mousehold Heath trees damaged by Storm Doris
It’s almost a month since the gale-force gusts of Storm Doris brought disruption to Norwich’s streets - but the clear-up work at the city’s Mousehold Heath continues.
More than 65 trees on the nature reserve were damaged during the storm on February 23.
And work still needs to be done on 50 of them, deemed to be ‘low-risk’ to the public.
There were two beech trees which fell on Beech Drive due to the high winds created by Storm Doris, which landed on power lines and cut off power to nearby Mons Avenue.
The Mousehold wardens have been carrying out work across the heath, to unblock paths and make trees and branches safe.
A spokesman for Norwich City Council, said: “To date emergency work has been completed on 15 windblown and damaged trees that posed an unacceptable level of risk, to make them safe.
“This involved the removal of any dangerous trees or branches which would have caused a health and safety issue to the public.
“The Mousehold wardens had between 20 and 30 volunteers helping with the clear up after the storms and the wood from the clearance went towards wildlife habitats in the woodland.”
That means there are still in excess of 50 trees which require further clean up and remedial work to be completed, although the council stresses those are “low-risk” to the public.
The council says its contract with Norse means it pays a set fee for tree works, so there is not a figure yet for what clearing up after Storm Doris has cost City Hall.
At the start of this month, a 200-year-old tree, which had been damaged by the storm, had to be removed from a garden.
Half of the tree, weighing nearly five tonnes, had fallen on to a boundary flint wall between two back gardens and a lean-to, smashing glass window panes.
A 42-metre-high crane was used to lift half of the tree from the garden, over the roof of the property.
Experts from Long Stratton-based Arborpro Tree Services then chopped the tree into sections on the road.
The remaining part of the oak tree was then chopped up into six sections weighing one to two tonnes in the back garden before being lifted onto Bracondale.
The city council said the authority had not had to cover any of the costs of the work.