July 22 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, November 23, 2011
An application for two 130-metre high wind turbines has been resubmitted after progress stalled earlier in the year.
Plans for two wind turbines at the Eye Airfield industrial estate, near Diss, have been sent to Mid Suffolk District Council.
It comes after previous proposals were withdrawn by Wind Power Renewables following objections from the Ministry of Defence and Norwich International Airport because of concerns over the impact on air traffic and radar.
Managing director Andy Hilton said they had resubmitted the plans to the district council after the two objections were dropped.
Mr Hilton added: “This cost us thousands of pounds and several months in delays. The process was stopped as objectors were asking for changes to the plans.”
“We would like to think that the application will go through, it should have gone through last time. Hopefully we will not have any objections this time.”
The two mega watt turbines have the potential to provide the energy needs for 3,800 homes for the next 25 years.
Wind Power Renewables Ltd committed itself to a community fund which will receive an annual top-up of typically £1,000 per installed megawatt.
The Eye project is expected to receive over £6,000 per annum, which will total over £150,000 over 25 years.
However, there are still concerns. Eye town councillor, Andrew Evitt said: “The wind turbines are going to be four and a half times the height of the town’s church.
“The effect will be the biggest intrusion on the land since the Ice Age. To say that everyone was for the wind turbines is absolute rubbish. The cost of wind power is just staggering.”
A spokesman for Mid Suffolk District Council said: “The council has received a planning application for two wind turbines in Eye Airfield and a decision will be made in the New Year.”