The beach at Lowestoft

Warning issued over foam washed-up on beaches in Lowestoft and Southwold

Wednesday, January 23, 2013
8.58 AM

A clean-up operation has been launched following the appearance of a foam on beaches in Lowestoft and Southwold.

A dog was been sick after eating some of the substance and beach users are advised to exercise caution.

The foam has been tested by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas) and has been identified as a bi-product of cooking oil, which may have been released by a vessel in the past few days.

A Waveney District Council spokesman said: “So far a dog has been sick having eaten some of the foam and all owners are advised to keep their pets away from the substance. It is not hazardous, nor an irritant but could cause some mild, temporary discomfort to animals if ingested in large quantities.

“Currently the matter is being investigated by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency’s counter pollution and salvage branch in Southampton and our operational partners Waveney Norse are cleaning the beaches.

“We will advise of any change to the situation and colleagues in Suffolk Coastal have been made aware, should further materials appear on their beaches.”