September 30 2014 Latest news:
By DAISY WALLAGE
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
A tiny hedgehog is recovering from serious injuries after he was found tangled in garden twine at Necton, near Swaffham.
The RSPCA is reminding people of the dangers of garden netting and twine after the youngster’s neck and right hind leg became caught.
He had a deep wound on his foot and cuts to his neck when he was found on September 1 and is still being cared for at the RSPCA East Winch Wildlife Centre.
Manager Alison Charles said: “The vet had to give the hedgehog a general anaesthetic to remove the netting and he was then given fluids, pain relief an antibiotics.
“It was touch and go for a bit, but now his foot is looking less swollen and he is putting on weight.
The centre, near King’s Lynn, has cared for about 700 hedgehogs each year over the last five years and 3pc are admitted as a result of becoming tangled on garden nets.
“We have animals in that have been caught in everything from fruit netting, tennis netting and garden twine,” Ms Charles continued.
“Sadly people are still just unaware of the dangers netting can cause to our wildlife and hedgehogs are one of the most commonly trapped animals.
“Netting of every type poses a dangerous hazard to our wildlife and it is important to remind the public of how lethal it can be to animals. The problem is so easily avoidable by ensuring nets are safely removed.”
The RSPCA is urging gardeners to regularly check any netting they use for trapped wildlife.
If you spot an animal in trouble, call the RSPCA national cruelty and advice line on 0300 1234 999.