Safety advisers start work at dangerous Bawsey Pits as swimmers ignore warnings
Safety advisers have started monitoring Bawsey Pits as people continue to ignore warnings.
The area is to be watched 24/7 throughout the summer holidays, with any reports of people jumping into the water to be reported to the relevant authorities.
Ryan Pettengell, 41, and Umar Balogun, 16, drowned at the lakes near King’s Lynn last July.
Minerals firm Sibelco, who own the site, previously said that people are ignoring warning signs not to swim in the flooded quarries.
Spokesman Nigel Canham, said: “The advisers reported to Bawsey Pits at 6am on Monday morning for the first time and they will now be there around the clock for the rest of the summer holidays.
“They have come at a good time as sadly we have had lots of people entering the water over the weekend and a lot of families are now coming to the area as the summer holidays have begun.
“I am fairly disappointed that people have continued to ignore our warnings and continue to swim in the water despite the signs that are there.
“Hopefully the presence of the advisers that will put people off going there to swim, and they will report anything illegal or dangerous that they see.”
The advisors will have no authority over what the public does but shall remind people that the area is a no-swim zone.
With the end of the school term, Bawsey Pits is expected to be at its busiest as more and more families are expected to visit the area.
Mr Canham added: “We are going to keep an eye over what happens during the summer.
“There will be reports put together at the end of the summer reviewing the events at Bawsey Pits over these summer months and will give them to the relevant authorities and see what can happen for the future.”
Hundreds took part in a public consultation about the future of the pits.
Sibelco earlier told a public meeting earlier this month that they hope to transform the pits into a country park which is safe for families to enjoy.