February 27 2015 Latest news:
David Bale and Sabah Meddings
Friday, February 22, 2013
Legal action is being taken against the owner of an eyesore site in Norwich, following calls by residents for it to be tidied up or brought back into use.
The King’s Arms in Mile Cross Road served its last pint in early 2000 and it has been an eyesore blighted by vandals and fly-tippers ever since.
Norwich City Council wrote to the owner in November last year asking for action to be taken by December – including clearing the site of fly-tipped waste and for windows to be boarded-up.
An extension was requested in order for this work to be carried out and this was granted until January 31. But no work was carried out by this date, so the council has issued three legal notices on the owner.
A city council spokesman said: “We are as keen as local residents to get this situation resolved. We gave the owner all reasonable chances to tackle the problem, but, seeing as the problems still remain, we have had to seek legal action to remedy the situation.
“If the owner does not comply with the legal notices when they expire at various dates throughout March, we will be able to secure the site, carry out any necessary work and recharge the owner for the cost of that work.
“Local residents who have recently complained to us directly have been kept informed of the current position and expected timescales.”
This week, residents near the site called on the ugly eyesore to be tidied up or brought back into use.
Georgina Cliff, 76, who lives opposite the pub, said: “I think it’s disgusting, it’s the first thing I see every morning.
“I’ve seen rats and it’s definitely a health hazard.”