Saturday, January 12, 2013
Dreams of bringing speedway back to Norwich have been delayed because “greater resources” are needed for the project than first thought, according to planning consultants.
The businessman behind plans for a speedway track and stadium on Norfolk Showground told the Evening News yesterday he was determined to go ahead.
But a discussion over fees between the speedway consortium, New Firs Ltd, and their planning consultants, Lanpro, means the project has been held up.
Solicitors representing the two firms are now in discussions to resolve the case.
Tim Dockerty from New Firs said: “We are confident that it will be going ahead, but all these things take time.
“We are in discussions with Lanpro about the best way forward.”
Lanpro was hired by New Firs to draw up a planning application and consult people living around the site in Costessey and Easton last year.
But they said the scale of the project was greater than first thought.
A planning application was initially expected last September.
Chris Leeming from Lanpro said: “It is a controversial application which has required greater resources than initially envisaged in order to deliver it.
“Every endeavour is being made to see it through to completion.”
He added that Lanpro was still supporting the project.
Plans to build a speedway stadium on Norfolk Showground were first unveiled in the Evening News in July last year and opinion was split over whether a track should be built on the showground’s eastern edge. Opponents believe speedway is too noisy for a track to be built close to homes.
But supporters argue the noise is far less than opponents make out and want to see the sport brought back to the city.
The plans are for a 360-metre track with a 480-seater stadium on an 11-hectare development.
It would revive the sport in the city for the first time since the Firs stadium in Hellesdon closed in 1965.