December 7 2013 Latest news:
Thursday, September 26, 2013
The death of a 27-year-old man in a caravan fire was accidental, an inquest heard.
Alwaros Nawrocki died on April 20 this year after a blaze broke out in his caravan in Sandy Lane, Diss.
An inquest held in Norwich yesterday heard that Mr Nawrocki frequently had candles in his caravan and, at the time of his death, had blood alcohol levels three times the drink-drive limit.
The court was told that earlier in the day, he met his brother, Andrzej Kotowski and the pair went for some drinks in the town centre.
At around 6.30pm, they went their separate ways and Mr Nawrocki walked back to his caravan alone.
Stephen Graham, who was walking with his partner and daughter on the evening of the fire, said he saw smoke as he made his way back along the track.
“On the way back we noticed some smoke coming from the caravan,” he said. “The closer we got the thicker, blacker and more dense the smoke got. I didn’t realise the gentleman was in there.”
Paramedics attended but could do nothing for Mr Nawrocki, and he was declared dead at 8.20pm.
Fire investigator James Belcher said: “During excavation we found a candle stick and a tin can with holes punched in it. We did not find any evidence of petrol, fuel, tools or electrical appliances. The gas was not connected at the time.
“A majority of the damage was around the doorway and kitchen area.”
Forensic scientist Emma Wilson said that although three candles were found in the caravan, no accelerants were found among the charred remains.
His brother in law, Ireneusz Wiloczynsk, said Mr Nawrocki moved to Diss five or six years ago.
After living with his sister and brother-in-law, Mr Nawrocki moved into the caravan three years ago.
“He did live with me but he stopped working and started drinking,” Mr Wiloczynsk said. “We checked on him many times and made sure everything was nice for him.
“He had a battery-powered torch for light and he had a small can of fuel for heating. He used a lot of candles.
“He was a good man. There were complaints of him being attacked and his windows had been broken.”
A post mortem examination revealed he died from inhalation of fire fumes and at time of his death, he had 290mg of alcohol in his blood, more than three times the legal limit for drivers.
Deputy coroner Jacqueline Lake, said: “I am satisfied that the fire was not started by a third party. There was no evidence of any other injury to Mr Nawrocki.
“In light of his use of candles and naked flame and I am satisfied that it was the result of an accident. In light of that I must conclude that his death was accidental.”