December 19 2014 Latest news:
Dominic Bareham, senior reporter
Monday, December 24, 2012
A decision will be made at the end of January on whether to revive a popular north Suffolk show which was cancelled last year due to the effects of the economic downturn and a busy schedule of summer events.
Organisers of the Eye Show will be meeting to decide how to reduce the cost of staging the extravaganza which often attracts 20,000 visitors before deciding whether to stage the event again this year.
Show organiser Tim Seeley said the committee behind the show was considering revamping the format to make the spectacle more attractive to the public, as well as “de-risking” the event by finding ways of cutting costs though he could not say where these savings would be made until after the meeting in January.
He added the show, held at Goodrich Park in Palgrave over the August bank holiday weekend had experienced a “bad couple of years,” especially when attendance numbers were low due to poor weather.
“Our costs are very high and that is one of the reasons we felt last time round we needed to the costs of the show, especially when the weather was bad. It needs to be able to withstand a wet day,” Mr Seeley said.
Last year, the organisers were concerned the show had to compete against other events this summer including the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations and the Olympic Torch relay and the public might not have the appetite for another show.
The show, which has been running for over a century, features rural pastimes, motoring thrills, aerial displays and unusual animal competitions as well as a Princes of Wales Royal Regiment freefall team.