Woman jailed for glass attack on female in Norwich nightclub

PUBLISHED: 10:39 23 May 2014

Library picture of Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

Library picture of Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434

A woman has been jailed after she glassed another woman in the face in a Norwich nightclub.

The victim, a 42-year-old teaching assistant, was out with friends in Chicago’s when she was attacked by Tina Paine, who shoved a glass into her face.

Norwich Crown Court heard the victim has been to hospital several times to have glass removed from around her eye.

Paine, 30, appeared at court to be sentenced after previously admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm on September 28 last year.

Judge Anthony Bate said the “unsuspecting victim” suffered a “profound injury” as a result of the attack and sentenced Paine to six months’ imprisonment.

He said the defendant, who has 11 previous convictions for 25 offences, including stabbing a shopkeeper following an argument, was “all too familiar with the damage that can be done to another human being with a weapon in hand”.

Judge Bate said she appeared to have been an “angry young woman who vented that anger and aggression” on members of the public or on people she knew for “little perceived reason”.

“You know that alcohol is a problem for you but nevertheless you travelled to Norwich with friends and drunk to excess.”

The judge said CCTV footage seen by the court showed that she “lashed out holding a glass in your hand”.

Judge Bate said whatever perceived grievance she suffered he “could not for a moment excuse that kind of armed assault on that woman”.

He said: “To put a glass into someone’s face is an act which potentially has the gravest of consequences.

“It’s only by sheer luck that she wasn’t more seriously injured than she was.”

Judge Bate said the victim, who “still bears physical scarring” was still struggling to come to terms with the attack.

The court heard Paine, of Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex, had travelled to Norwich with friends for a night out.

It appears there was a problem between the two groups and the victim, who was minding her own business when the defendant shoved a glass in her face and then left.

Paine was traced by police in November last year and was later picked out on an identification parade by members of the group who were with the victim on the night of the attack.

The victim went to accident and emergency following the incident and had a couple of stitches. She has since returned to hospital about five or six times for treatment, including having glass removed from around the eye.

It was feared she might suffer drooping around the eye as a result of the injury which has left her “visibly scarred”.

Jonathan Morgans, for Paine, said she broke down in tears at reading the victim’s personal statement and wanted to apologise for what she had done. He said it was “genuine, total and complete remorse” based on an insight into what she had done.

In terms of the incident, Mr Morgans said it was a “single blow”, and an “instant reaction” to a situation which “she concedes she’s misinterpreted”.

Have you got a crime story? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 12°C

min temp: 10°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast