West Norfolk worker died after being electrocuted, court told
PUBLISHED: 12:04 07 April 2014 | UPDATED: 12:05 07 April 2014
copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434
Home office pathologist Dr Nat Carey told a jury that nurseryman Grzegorz Pieton, 27, died after being electrocuted, when his tractor and trailer came into contact with overhead power lines, while working at Belmont Nursery in Terrington St Clement.
A Home Office pathologist told a Norwich Crown Court jury that a nurseryman whose tractor trailer came into contact with overhead power lines had died from electrocution.
Grzegorz Pieton, 27, , had been driving a tractor when its metal hydraulic-lift trailer made contact with the 11,000 volt overhead cables at Belmont Nursery, Terrington St Clement,
PS and JE Ward Ltd, the company that operated the nursery, is accused of corporate manslaughter and failing to ensure the safety of an employee.
The company denies the charges.
The jury heard that a post mortem was carried out on Mr Pieton following the accident by pathologist Dr Nat Carey who concluded that his death was due to electrocution.
He said that burns to his left hand and both feet were consistent with his left hand touching some part of the tractor as his feet touched the ground.
He said: “A lethal amount of electricity had passed through his body.”
The trial continues