Watton teenager Johanna Young unsolved murder latest: One man released from bail, one man remains on bail

PUBLISHED: 14:05 03 June 2014 | UPDATED: 15:58 03 June 2014

Johanna Young coverage from the Eastern Daily Press in 1992. Photo: Steve Adams

Johanna Young coverage from the Eastern Daily Press in 1992. Photo: Steve Adams

A man in his 30s arrested in connection with the unsolved murder of Watton teenager Johanna Young, whose body was found on Boxing Day, 1992, has been released from bail and will have no further action taken against him.

The man, from the Thetford area, was arrested following fresh information about the cold case which followed a high-profile renewed appeal into the case.

But while the police interest in this man has finished another man, in his 40s from the Watton area, who was also arrested in connection with the case, remains on police bail.

Detectives leading the investigation into the unsolved murder have welcomed the initial response to fresh information uncovered by the enquiry at the end of last month.

Detective Inspector Marie James, said: “Both our appeal in December and our detailed update around the critical lines of enquiry received a very positive response.

“This included taking nearly a dozen calls following the media appeals at the end of last month.

“We have been greatly encouraged by the information the team continue to receive on this investigation and our appeal remains for people to look to their consciences and consider ringing us even if they thought at the time the information irrelevant.“

In December Johanna’s parents issued a heartfelt plea to help detectives in their search for new leads.

Johanna left her home in Merton Road in the town on December 23 at 7.30pm but did not return home that night.

They assumed she had stayed at her boyfriend’s because of the foggy and cold weather.

But when Johanna failed to turn up for her paper round at 7am her parents Robert and Carol reported their daughter missing.

When Johanna’s body was found in undergrowth near Griston Road, she was covered in scratches and was partially clothed.

A post-mortem examination showed she had died from drowning and a fractured skull.

Anyone who has any information for the police should call 101.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 6°C

min temp: 0°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast