Update: Jury to resume its deliberations tomorrow in trial of man accused of making threats to Norwich tenants wth ‘Ramnbo-style’ knife or machete

Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd. Norwich Crown Court. Photo: Adrian Judd.

Thursday, May 8, 2014
1:00 PM

A jury will resume deliberations tomorrow in considering its verdict in the trial of a man accused of threatening occupants of a house in Norwich while armed with a “Rambo-style” combat knife or machete.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Stuart Stanger, 48, is alleged to have walked into the house on Magdalen Road, in Norwich, and told the occupants they were going to “die one by one”, Norwich Crown Court was told.

But after he was persuaded he had got the wrong house he left after shaking hands with one of the men, the court heard.

Stanger, of Magdalen Road, Norwich, denies affray and having an article with a blade or point in a public place, namely an alleyway behind Magdalen Road, on August 28, last year.

The jury will resume its deliberations at 10am tomorrow after being sent home tonight.

Judge Nicholas Coleman sent the jury out just before noon today after he summed up the case and gave legal direction to the jury following closing speeches from the prosecution and defence.

Judge Coleman told the jury not to “speculate” but to “try the case on the evidence that’s been called before you”.

He said in order for the jury to be able to convict the defendant of the allegations members must be “satisfied so that you can feel sure prosecution has established guilt” adding the defendant had to prove nothing.

Judge Coleman added if the jury was not sure it must acquit but if it was must convict.

The trial continues.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Norfolk Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 8°C

Five-day forecast

loading...

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT