Update: Three women released on bail after alleged assault near Norwich pub
PUBLISHED: 06:12 11 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:39 11 August 2014
Three women arrested in connection with an alleged assault near to a Norwich pub have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.
The women were taken to hospital after being treated by ambulance crews following an alleged assault near to the Wig and Pen pub on St Martin-at-Palace Plain at about 4.30am on Sunday morning.
A spokesman for Norfolk police said all three women, who were arrested for disorder, had injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment.
All three have been released on bail pending further inquiries.
As previously reported spokesman in the Norfolk police control room said they attended after being called by ambulance crews.
The incident occurred between 3am and 6am which is a period already identified by police as when a disproportionate amount of violence occurs.
As previously reported clubs and bars on Prince of Wales Road voluntarily agreed to stop selling alcohol at 4am to tackle the issue of rising night-time violence - particularly between 3am and 6am - which had been made a priority by police.
A consultation has also been launched on early morning restriction orders (EMROs) which are an official way of restricting the sale of alcohol in a particular area for a specified time between midnight and 6am, which Norfolk police have said would help curb anti-social behaviour in the early hours.
Meanwhile a radical new action plan aimed at cutting alcohol-related violence and anti-social behaviour in the city’s clubland was given the go-ahead by Norwich City Council’s cabinet.
The new plan, which comprises 12 key measures, including experimental road closures, extra CCTV cameras, taxi marshals and new toilets, was drawn up by council officers and police as part of a bid to cut alcohol-fuelled violence in the heart of the city and help make it safer.
Have you got a crime story? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436.