Volunteers battled to save man stabbed to death in ‘frenzied’ car park knife attack
PUBLISHED: 09:21 24 June 2018 | UPDATED: 08:26 25 June 2018
Volunteers at the SOS bus battled to save the life of a man fatally stabbed in a “frenzied attack” at Rose Lane car park in Norwich.
Detectives have launched a murder inquiry following the death of the man on Saturday morning.
Police were called to Rose Lane car park just after midnight to reports the man aged in his 40s had been stabbed. The victim was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for treatment but died from his injuries.
A man in his 20s has since been arrested on suspicion of murder and is currently being held in police custody.
Andy Baker, team leader at the SOS bus, has told how volunteers and paramedics fought to save the victim.
He said: “It was a quiet evening up until 12. The city in general seemed quiet. The victim had been outside our bus for about an hour, just sitting with his mate having a chat.
“He had gone over to the toilet and within five minutes we got a call about someone being seriously assaulted.”
Mr Baker added: “A team went up and we realised it was a lot more serious than we thought when we had members of the public shouting for help. Our first aiders and security guards from the clubs were first on the scene and started administering first aid to try to stop the bleeding.
“They worked on him for about eight minutes before the paramedics arrived. Within 20 minutes of the incident starting they had him in an ambulance.
“He was in a very bad way. His injuries were very severe with multiple injuries. For somebody to have so many injuries in such a short space of time it must have been quite a frenzied attack.”
Mr Baker said he could not praise his team enough.
“Afterwards they had to endure two and a half hours of standing at the scene before being released because articles of clothing had to be taken off them for evidence. What we try to do is bring the team together and see if anybody needs more help or assistance in coming to terms with what has happened. “It was a 30 second response time. We gave him the best chance we could - nobody could have got there any quicker to try to save a life.”
He added his team were “quite shocked by the horrific sight they were faced with”.
“None of them had ever come across anything like that before,” he said. “It was a harrowing scene for them.”
A police cordon remains in place around the scene of the incident and is expected to do so for several days whilst detectives continue their enquiries.
Inspector Dan Cocks said: “Detectives are in the early stages of their investigation and extra officers will be on patrol over the next few days to offer support and to reassure members of the public.”
Anyone with information should contact Norfolk Police immediately on 101.