August 23 2014 Latest news:
Herbie Hide with his stitched up cut above his left eye after his fight against Mendauga Kulikauskas in Nottingham. Picture: James Bass Copy: David Thorpe For: EDP SPORT EDP Pics ©2004 Tel: (01603) 772434
Monday, February 25, 2013
Norfolk Police confirmed today that officers would investigate drug allegations surrounding former boxing world champion Herbie Hide.
Sabah Meddings looks back on the life and times of Herbie Hide.
A former World Boxing Organisation heavyweight champion, recent years have seen Mr Hide, 41 hitting the headlines for reasons other than his sporting achievements.
Born in Nigeria, Hide moved to Norfolk as a boy where he was privately educated at Glebe House and Cawston College.
Known as ‘The Dancing Destroyer’, Hide began his career in 1989 with 25 successive wins. After challenging Michael Bentt for the WBO heavyweight title in 1994, Hide won in seven rounds and, despite failing to defend his title in 1995, Hide triumphed in 1996 and held the title for two consecutive years.
After losing to Vitali Klitschko in 1999, he did not feature again in high at heavyweight, but moved down to cruiserweight in 2006 and has since won 14 consecutive fights. He successfully defeated Mikhail Nasyrov in December 2007 to win the Word Boxing Council International cruiserweight title. His last professional fight was in 2010, and since then Hide has become better known for his appearances in court.
He walked free in July 2011 following a court case where prosecutors claimed he had raped a woman in November 2011. The prosecution offered no evidence following a review of the allegations and he was found not guilty. Later that year, Hide returned from Las Vegas to find his house had been shot at during his absence, signalling the start of more trouble for the former boxing ace.
In February 2012, he was fined after facing an assault charge. The following month, Hide hit the headlines again after 25-year-old Tafadzwa Khan was murdered at his Bawburgh home, although he was not involved and not in the house at the time. Hide said he was devastated at this news, adding: “He is a like a little brother to me.”
In September 2012 he was in the papers again after being issued with a court warrant concerning an unpaid fine. Hide said he was experiencing difficulty saying: “I’ve always got money troubles. My main money trouble is I’m always looking for money.”
The most recent allegations surround claims Hide told undercover reporters that he could set up and rig a fight for £1m.