December 6 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Police in Norfolk are winning the war on doorstep crime across the county, according to the man at the helm of the specialist team which targets the conmen.
Distraction burglaries alone have been reduced by 87 per cent over the past five years.
Specialist police team Operation Radar was set up in 2008 in a bid to tackle the then growing number of crimes where people were being duped out of money and possessions by cold callers and conmen.
At the time there were 85 distraction burglaries across Norfolk but that figure plumeted to just 11 last year following the success of the operation which has seen 207 arrests made, £650,000 worth of assests seized and 30 major investigations resulting in 107 years in custody for 25 offenders.
Detective Sergeant Pete Jessopp, who leads the Operation Radar team, said he was delighted with the success of the operation so far but insisted officers would not rest on their laurels and would continue to target those intent on devastating the lives of the vulnerable and elderly in the county.
He said: “These criminals don’t care about those who they scam and steal from – but we do. They are ruthless and organised – and so we have played them at their own game. We have been able to make Norfolk unattractive to them through combined and sustained enforcement and raising awareness of the techniques they use; whether this is by setting up cold calling zones, visiting scrap metal yards, carrying out vehicle checks with partners or visiting repeat victims.”
He added: Whilst many people heed our warnings and advice, sadly there are some who are complacent or are in hard to reach, vulnerable groups, and so we remain determined to catch those offenders who are out to exploit them and take steps to keep ourselves and our friends and family safe.”