September 23 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Teenagers who were at the party where a Great Yarmouth man was fatally stabbed are being urged to contact police anonymously if they are nervous about speaking out.
As the search for a weapon continues and two adults were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender in connection to the death of Connor Barrett, detective chief inspector Paul Durham has called on anyone with information to “search their conscience, do the right thing and come forward”.
Six youths have been arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of 20-year-old Mr Barrett at a birthday party in The Glebe, in Hemsby, on Saturday night.
Yesterday, a 41-year-old man and 35-year-old woman were arrested at an address in Cobholm, Yarmouth, on suspicion of assisting an offender and were taken to Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
Senior investigating officer DCI Durham said the response from the public so far had been encouraging but some people may be withholding information that could prove vital to the investigation.
At its peak, between 30 and 50 people were at the party and most were teenagers. Police believe there was an altercation about half an hour before Mr Barrett was injured at about 11.25pm.
Urging people who were at the party – and who may have already spoken to officers – to call Crimestoppers, on 0800 555111, to pass on information in confidence, DCI Durham said: “We’ve had an encouraging response from the party guests but I’ve got no doubt there are still people out there who haven’t told us everything they know.”
Searches for the weapon that killed Mr Barrett, believed to be a knife or similar sharp-bladed instrument, are today ongoing in Hemsby, alongside further house-to-house enquiries.
“It could be anywhere in the location and I’d ask anybody who knows its whereabouts to get in touch either via 101 or through Crimestoppers,” said DCI Durham.
Earlier this week, Mr Barrett’s father, Lee Barrett, said his son was a loving, caring young man and a wonderful father who doted on his son.
DCI Durham added: “It’s becoming more apparent, as we have identified and spoken to people, that Connor was a popular lad and people are genuinely appalled by what has happened to him.”
A 15-year-old male arrested on suspicion of murder was last night released on police bail.
A warrant of further detention was yesterday granted by magistrates in respect of a 17-year-old male and he remains in police custody, where he awaits further questioning. They are two of six male youths arrested on suspicion of murder in relation to the stabbing. Four others, aged 15, 16, 17 and 18 have since been released on police bail. All are from the Yarmouth area.