Search

Plea to bring killers of Sergiusz Meges to justice two years after his body was found in Norwich underpass

PUBLISHED: 10:12 10 June 2017 | UPDATED: 17:01 10 June 2017

Sergiusz Meges was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

Sergiusz Meges was killed in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

ARCHANT NORFOLK

Today marks the second anniversary of the discovery of the body of Sergiusz Meges in a Norwich underpass but police are still no nearer to finding the 29-year-old’s killers, it has emerged.

Sergiusz Meges who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook Sergiusz Meges who died in St Stephen's underpass in Norwich. Photo: The Peoples' Picnic/Facebook

The discovery of the body of Mr Meges, known as Sergio, in St Stephen’s underpass on June 10 2015, led to a murder inquiry which resulted in the arrest of two men.

But no further action was taken against the men, both from the Norwich area, and the second anniversary of Mr Meges’s death has prompted renewed calls for justice.

Stuart Andrews, 38, who himself is on the streets, said: “I didn’t think it was that long ago.

“I definitely hope someone is caught for it.

The area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead.
PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY The area in St Stephen’s subway where Sergiusz Meges was found dead. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

“A man on the streets, keeping himself to himself...there was no need for it.

“I spoke to him a few times and said hello and that. He was a foreigner on his own, it’s a shame.”

Simon Gravell, who sells the Big Issue in the Haymarket area of the city, said it was a “shame” that no-one had been charged in connection with the death.

He said: “I hope they do get whoever did it.”

The body of Mr Meges, a Polish national was discovered in the early hours of June 10 2015.

His death was initially treated as unexplained. But forensic inquiries revealed fatal injuries.

Detective Chief Inspector Marie James from the Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team (MIT) said there were currently no active lines of inquiry regarding the investigation.

But she insisted the case was still “open” and urged anyone with any information that might “develop the case further” to get in touch.

She added: “It’s one we really want to solve.

“He was vulnerable because he was homeless. If anyone has any information I would urge them to come forward.”

An inquest into his death in July revealed that the Polish national was found with splenic lacerations.

He was known to have had previous addresses in both Norwich and Thetford, but had been homeless in Norwich at the time of his death.

Anyone who could assist with inquiries into Mr Meges’ death should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 4°C

min temp: 1°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast