Owners of Sprowston Manor Hotel and Country Club are fined for health and safety breach
19:32 07 July 2012
copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434
The owners of Sprowston Manor Hotel and Country Club have been fined £9,000 and ordered to pay costs of more than £13,000 after admitting a health and safety breach.
Marriott Hotels International had a prosecution brought against them by Broadland District Council at Norwich Magistrates Court yesterday afternoon.
The case came about after a member of the hotel’s kitchen staff slipped and burned his hand in a deep-fat fryer and it emerged that he was not wearing safe footwear.
Richard Wood, prosecuting, explained that commis chef Daniel Morgan had slipped over and ended up having to go to hospital for burns treatment on September 3, 2010.
He said: “The slip was significantly contributed to by the failings of the hotel. His arm might have been in danger (of being lost) but as it was, Mr Morgan’s colleagues got his arm under cold water very quickly and he has almost completely recovered.”
It was said that the hotel’s records cited the kitchen floor being in a poor state as far back as 2007, with Marriott having taken on the hotel in 2006.
James Mageros, mitigating, insisted the incident was an “isolated lapse” however and revealed that Marriott have since spent £36,000 improving the kitchen floors.
He said the hotel’s executive chef, who was responsible for ensuring kitchen staff were wearing the appropriate non-slip footwear, had been replaced.
It was also said the entire system of safe footwear had been overhauled, ensuring there is adequate spare safety shoes in different sizes available.
District judge, Peter Veits, described the incident as being “avoidable” and praised Marriott for making swift changes to the health and safety at Sprowston Manor.
He then ordered a £9,000 fine and costs of £13,996.38 were to be paid, leaving compensation for Mr Morgan to be dealt with in civil court.