Norwich Prison suicide verdict over man in Incredible Hulk onesie who raped woman at Great Yarmouth music event

PUBLISHED: 16:12 06 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:13 06 March 2014

The coroner's court in Thorpe Road, Norwich. Picture: Denise Bradley

The coroner's court in Thorpe Road, Norwich. Picture: Denise Bradley

Archant 2012

A man who was found hanged in his cell at Norwich Prison the day before he was due to be sentenced for rape committed suicide, an inquest has heard.

Paul Gigg, 30, was pronounced dead by paramedics after being found with a ligature around his neck on January 27 2013.

Gigg was due to be sentenced at Norwich Crown Court the next day after having previously admitted raping a 19-year-old woman at a music event in Great Yarmouth.

Gigg had been charged with two counts of rape which happened at the Vauxhall Holiday Park in Acle New Road on October 20 2012 during the three-day Kiss Weekender event.

Gigg, who was wearing an Incredible Hulk onesie when he attacked his victim was arrested after she described what he was wearing, along with other details of the assault.

The chef, of Chinook, Highwoods, Colchester, Essex, pleaded guilty at Norwich Crown Court in December 2012.

A two-day inquest into his death concluded in Norwich today with the jury of seven women and four men returning a conclusion of suicide.

The inquest heard evidence that an alarm was raised after prison staff got “no response” from Gigg’s cell during morning roll call at about 5.15am on January 27 2013.

Entry was gained to the cell and Gigg was found with a ligature around his neck.

Staff commenced CPR until the arrival of paramedics who pronounced Gigg dead at 5.53am.

A post mortem examination was carried out and cause of death was given as hanging.

The inquest heard evidence about Gigg’s mental state during his time in prison.

But his overall picture was described by a nurse at the prison as “downward” - an improving trend.

She referred to a visit with Gigg in December 2012 as being “more positive”.

The jury also heard written evidence from fellow prisoners - one of whom said Gigg was “concerned and anxious” about being a convicted rapist and the affect that would have on his children”.

The prisoner said Gigg was “down” following his court appearance on December 21 2012 when he pleaded guilty.

He described Gigg as being “emotional” after a visit from his family on January 15 2013 although added he had never talked about taking his own life.

Another prisoner said Gigg had a “difficult” phone conversation with his family after making his plea.

Meanwhile the inquest also heard evidence from another prisoner who said Gigg had talked about “knowing how he would take his own life if he wanted to” and mentioned “hanging”.

He described how the day before his death Gigg spent “a lot of time in his cell on his own” although there had been no mention of him feeling down or self harming.

Assistant Norfolk Coroner David Osborne offered his sincere condolences to the family who lost a loved one in “difficult” and “tragic” circumstances.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Latest from the EDP

Show Job Lists

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 11°C

min temp: 10°C

Listen to the latest weather forecast