April 24 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Police tackled more than 30 public order incidents in Norfolk on New Year’s Eve, but praised the majority of people for their ‘good-natured’ celebrations to see in 2014.
There were 35 public order incidents and 52 domestic incidents across the county.
There was a strong police presence in Prince of Wales Road in Norwich, in the heart of the city’s nightclub district, where there were a number of fights. Photographer Rob Colman took the picture shown here.
But police said the number of calls to the control room between 10pm last night and 7am this morning had fallen.
The force control room took 554 calls, which was a fall of about 17pc on last year, when there were 665 calls.
In terms of 999 emergency calls, there were almost 100 less than last year, with 274 received.
Norfolk police superintendent Dave Marshall said: “Preparation for New Year begins months in advance to ensure that the force has sufficient resources in place to be able to police the expected busy periods where it is known there will be greater numbers of people out and about and visiting the county’s night spots.
“The constabulary had a high visible presence with extra patrols in Norwich and towns in the county and also had powers available to deal with those behaving in an anti-social manner or committing an offence.
“These include using a section 27 notice, allowing us to disperse the person from the area, fixed penalty notices or arrest.
“It is traditionally one of our busiest times of year and, although there were a few incidents of disorder across the county, it is pleasing to see that, generally, there was no major disturbances and that on the whole people celebrated New Year in a good-natured way.”