December 11 2013 Latest news:
Tuesday, October 8, 2013
A childhood friend of one of the boys, who has accused a former Radio Norfolk presenter of sexually assaulting him, told a court how he felt betrayed when his friend said he had made up allegations of sex abuse.
Michael Souter, 60, of Low Bungay Road, Loddon, is on trial after denying 19 counts of historic child sex abuse relating to seven different boys aged between 11 and 16, which are said to have happened between 1979 and 1999.
He also denies nine counts of making and possessing indecent images of children.
Giving evidence at Norwich Crown Court, he said as a teenager he had been friends with one of the alleged victims and he had confided to him in a phone call that he had been sexually abused by Souter and asked if he would make a statement on his behalf.
He said: “I was shocked.”
He said his parents did not want him to get involved and several days later he said he got another call from the boy to say he had made it up and had “faked” it to look as if he was abused.
He said: “I felt quite betrayed.”
He was so thrown by what he was told, he had not asked any questions.
“I was a naive 16 year old country lad. I had not come across anything like this before.
“I felt betrayed and I was thinking about how I was feeling rather than how he was feeling.”
Cross examined by Andrew Shaw, prosecuting, he admitted he could not remember that he had in fact made a statement to police about the allegations at the time.
He also accepted that he could not know either way if the boy had been telling the truth about what had gone on.
The trial continues.