April 17 2014 Latest news:
Friday, December 14, 2012
A man remains in police custody after bomb disposal experts and police searched a Hellesdon house in connection with an investigation into a suspicious device found under a car.
The property in Middleton’s Lane, Hellesdon, was sealed off yesterday with a police officer guarding the scene, as Army explosive ordnance disposal officers assisted detectives with the search
A man in his 30s from the Norwich area was also arrested yesterday on suspicion of offences under the Explosives Act. Police said this morning that he has yet to be charged.
He became the fourth man arrested in connection with the investigation examining a suspicious device found under a car outside a home in Buxton, near Aylsham, at the beginning of September.
Neighbours in Middleton’s Lane told of their surprise at seeing police vehicles arriving in their street at 7.15am, followed by a bomb disposal unit at about 11am.
Tracy Chilvers said she first saw emergency vehicles at the property at 8.30am. Mrs Chilvers said: “I saw a remote-controlled disposal thing, and I know they are building a house at the bottom of the property. I thought it was for that – perhaps they had found an unexploded bomb.”
Samantha Whittle, who lives in Middleton’s Lane with her husband and two sons said: “The first arrived at 7.15am. There were four cars parked out the back, plus the bomb disposal unit – there’s been up to six vehicles throughout the day.
“We did ask if they wanted a cup of tea. I went out at about 11am and that’s when the bomb disposal unit turned up.”
As previously reported, villagers in Buxton were made to leave their homes for more than eight hours on Sunday, September 2, after a man called police just after 11am to say that there was a device underneath his car.
Bomb disposal experts later removed the device from under the car. A man has denied intending to cause an explosion, which was likely to endanger life or cause serious injury and is due to go on trial in February.