Man admits “vicious” attack on former partner at her West Norfolk home
06:15 08 January 2014
copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434
A man broke into his former partner’s home, kicked a TV off a stand onto one of her children before assaulting her in a “nasty” and “vicious” attack, a court has heard.
Jordan Barrow, 24, appeared at Norwich Crown Court yesterday to be sentenced after previously pleading guilty to criminal damage and unlawful wounding on September 21 last year.
Jacob Edwards, prosecuting, said Barrow had been arguing with the victim, his former partner, earlier in the day but went to her home, in the Downham Market area, where she was at home with a friend and at least one of her children at about 10pm.
The court heard Barrow was shouting, banging, and kicking the back door being “very aggressive” and despite being told to stop “broke through the door” and into the living room where he kicked a TV which fell of its stand and onto or close to a young child.
Mr Edwards said Barrow then attacked the victim, which was witnessed by her friend, and resulted in her sustaining a 3cm cut above her left eye which required at least seven stitches.
Barrow was arrested and when interviewed by police initially denied having attacked the victim or causing her injuries.
Will Carter, mitigating, said Barrow, who has 10 convictions for a total of 12 previous offences including some for violence and on former partners, said since he was arrested his client had served seven weeks in custody and a further two months on an electronically monitored tag.
Mr Carter said he found his time in custody a “horrible experience” but one which afforded him the chance to reflect on the way he had been conducting himself and the knowledge that if he did not change his lifestyle things were not going to change.
He said the “up and down” relationship, which featured heavy drinking on both sides, lasted for about 15 months and was described by Barrow’s own mother as “toxic”.
Mr Carter said Barrow, who has been staying at a bail address in Ashburnham Road, Luton, was a “very fine workman”, had been offered the chance to reside with his mother at her address in Downham Market who was fully supportive in wanting to help him battle his problems.
Sentencing Barrow to a 12 month custodial sentence, suspended for two years, Judge Stephen Holt described it as a “nasty, vicious attack on someone who was defenceless, at home with her children”.
Barrow was also sentenced to two years supervision, ordered to undertake building better relationship programme, an alcohol treatment requirement, and subjected to an electronic curfew for three months between 7pm and 7am.
He was also made the subject of a restraining order not to contact the victim, directly or indirectly, until further order ordered to pay the victim £500 compensation and a £100 victim surcharge.